Saturday, July 12, 2014

Fabric Loving, The Quilty Queue & Blog Hopping Goodness


Here Kitty Kitty!

I <3 these lovely organic fabrics
by Alyssa Thomas @ Penguin & Fish
from  Clothworks.


These are the fabrics for my

 Kitty in the Cabin Quilt 

for my grand-darling.
I had a fat quarter bundle but had to order a few more half yards
to have enough fabric for the size quilt I want to make
for the growing Baby Girl.

This is my July Goal for  ALYOF  so I best get sewing!


I washed these fabrics and hung them to dry outside and now they are on hangers waiting to be pressed.

Do you wash your fabrics?

I do ... except for small precuts.

The chemicals used in the finishing process in most fabrics give my hands
a rough red rash, so I always pre-wash.
These organic fabrics had much less finishing and sizing chemicals
and had a nice soft feel when they arrived,
but habit is habit and I washed them anyway.
The fat quarters did shrink almost a inch on each side.

Today I am working on my

Baby Sister Pink Charm Quilt


Here are the 120 Pink Charms sewn together and on my design wall.


Here is the plan!


These strips are just pinned on right now while I decide where to put them and how many I need to cut.



Then I will add them to the top ...
using this new idea

... for sewing first and cutting later.

I am loving this new method!

I have a lot of quilts in mind using this
fun strip method ... 

Including one for this upcoming blog hop!






and then

I like the new Rush Hour fabrics, 
particularly the black street scene and the clock designs, 
but I am not sure I will be able to buy any fabrics for this hop.
I am on a "sew my stash" diet and the Here, Kitty Kitty fabrics were a big splurge that I found on a great deal, so I will be sewing from my stash for this hop.
This is what I have in the planning stages 
for the Rush Hour Hop ... 


Kona Solids! 

I am thinking of making a unique
"interwoven" quilt for a very special young man,
my nephew, who recently achieved his life-long dream of 
becoming a firefighter.
I know he and his wife love red and black and white and
the Kona "Ash" seems the perfect touch.

I am really looking forward to making this quilt!

Hope to see you joining in the blog hop fun!

Have a happy, quilty day!

<3 

5 comments:

Carol Swift said...

I don't wash my fabrics, but I used to always wash them when I was sewing clothes in the olden days. One of my favorite things to do on a quilt is just add one block that is different so I'm loving the cat quilt. Cute fabrics, too! Can't wait for Rush Hour!

Mara said...

Love your plans for the Here Kitty Kitty fabric, I don't pre-wash, but omg, a whole inch that is crazy! Do you think I should wash my FQ bundle, even if it is all I use in a quilt. And I adore your pink strawberry quilt, really really cute.

Createology said...

I am not a quilter and for my sewing projects I normally do not pre-wash my fabrics. With age comes wisdom and certainly knowing the difference between quality good fabrics and cheap fabrics which become mishappened or wonky all together. You design is adorable. Creative Stitching Bliss...

Janarama said...

Love the look of the blocks using your fun strip method. I always wash all of my fabric in hot water and dry it on the hottest setting.

Shari said...

Love your kitty fabrics... I do pre-wash my fabric, and honestly sometimes I wish I hadn't, but that probably means it was best I did lol. Can't wait to see your quilt for Rush Hour...great fabrics and what a great range of colour from Kona!