Wednesday, March 1, 2017

SSS BOM Block 2 ~ Step 1


SSS BOM Block 2 ~ Step 1 
 Pieced Background



created this beautiful block!

Click Here for all Carol's how to tips.


For the



Here is how I pieced this background


The background for this applique block is easy pieced squares.


When I have carefully laid out the pieces for this type of block,
I do not snip the threads between the rows.


This helps to keep the squares aligned for me.


I just sew in strips and then sew the strips together.


I like to press the seams open as I go along ...


to reduce the bulk in the seams
for the pieced background of an applique block.



Here is my pieced background next to the sunny Block 1.

Because my background is so busy I will choose solids and textures for my applique pieces.

My quilt and fabrics are very scrappy because I am using up some I have in my stash.

A few years ago I participated in a 10" square swap of sun, sea and surf fabrics.

Lucky me!

I am ready for Step 2 ~ Applique!

I am loving this block!

:-) 


7 comments:

Chantal said...

Wow! That is such a great backdrop for the appliques. I can almost hear the waves kissing the shore and the seagulls giggling above. You really know how to use your fabric. Awesome! ;^)

KaHolly said...

Love how you decided to piece your background! My best stash is up in Cape Breton, so I'll have to wait to follow along. Can't wait to see it finished! XO

works4me said...

I love what you are doing with the block. What a great background. I can't wait to see step 2.

claudia said...

You have a very popular beach there! Looks like everyone is having the time of their lives. Mine is so plain in comparison. I am going to do a little embroidery on it though, so hopefully that will give it a little life.
I really like yours. It has movement, lots of movement. Got sunscreen?!?

Dorian said...

Looking good Ms Pat! Makes me want to go to the beach :)

Gina said...

This is looking fabulous. I'm getting excited to see how your quilt finishes xx

Renee said...

Your blocks are fabulous! I have the patterns for both blocks and need to set aside some time to work on them. I set the fabrics aside for the first block last month, but have yet to attempt sewing it together. And I have a good idea of what I want to do with the second block. Yours are wonderful!