Friday, September 8, 2017

Quilting Along with the FQS!


Here is Block 1 for my


with the

Fat Quarter Shop

To make this quilt ...

FQS Video Tutorial Here

and

Free Block Pattern Here

There is a beautiful


Lady of the Lake Quilt Kit

made with

 "The Good Life" fabrics by Bonnie and Camille

that includes the triangle papers.

I am sew excited to be a part of this wonderful quiltalong!

I hope you will soon be sewing along with us soon!

I love this pattern!

As my readers know, I love learning new tips and techniques
and sharing them with all my online quilty friends.

My favorite thing about sewing this FQS version of the traditional
Lady of the Lake Quilt Block
is a wonderful new-to-me method for making HSTs.


Triangles on a Roll


These are the 3" finished size.

For this you cut two squares,
sandwich them right sides together,
pin
(or not pin ... like I did in the photo above),

set your stitch length to 1.6 as recommended, 

and sew as shown by the arrows along the broken stitch lines.


Trim the edges, if need be, and cut in squares along the solid lines.


Cut into triangles on the solid cutting lines.


Fold and peel off the papers.

The small stitch length helps to make the paper removal easier
and will not disrupt your stitches.

Press ... and then ... my favorite part ...


Snip the dog ears off and you are done!

You will have eight perfectly square and sized HST units
ready to sew into blocks.

I love it!

With my achy hands and challenging vision,
these are a sew helpful and time saving, too.

Also, I have never been a fan of drawing lines on the backs on my blocks.
I am always looking for good alternative methods
and this is my new HST method of choice.




I started this journey Here with this glorious bundle of fat quarters
and some yardage that was in my stash.
This is
"On the Wing" by Abi Hall for

To make the best use of my fabric and give my quilt a scrappy look,


I cut one large square and two small squares from each fat quarter 
and then cut my large squares on the diagonal.
saving the piece on the left for future use.


Then I paired these with two different prints.


Sewed and pressed and snipped


and sewed some more ...


... and made two different blocks for each print.


I assembly lined units next to my sewing machine.


Very quickly I had a nice stack of blocks ready to sew into my quilt top.

More  Lady of the Lake Quiltalong posts coming soon!

Thanks to everyone at the

Fat Quarter Shop

for this fun new quiltalong!

Be sure to visit

The Jolly Jabber

today for all you need to know about the
Lady of the Lake Quiltalong
and to see all the other quilts in progress.

Thank you for stopping by today.

Looking forward to showing you my beautiful new quilt.

Hope to see you all sewing along!

6 comments:

margaret said...

not seen this way of making triangles sounds great as there is no trimming except the gog ears will save loads of time, block looks good too

Dorian said...

Very nice Pat! I like your fabrics :) I'm glad the triangles on a roll work so well for you. Makes it nice and quick too.

Said With Love said...

Such a great detailed post with steps for all those HSTs!

Chantal said...

I love these fabrics! They are gorgeous and make your blocks sing. It will be a very cheerful quilt. ;^)

KaHolly said...

It's going to be magnificent! I've never tried making HSTs that way, but you are pretty convincing! I might have to!

Lady Jane said...

It will yes to repeat a blogger, magnificent. Love the block, love those colors. Hugs, LJ